Over $2.6 million awarded
Since 1980, The Gleaner Life Insurance Society Scholarship Foundation has awarded more than $2.6 million in scholarships on a competitive basis to Gleaner members and their families. In 2016, the foundation awarded $225,000 in scholarships. Gleaner plans to award 100 competitive scholarships in 2017.
A panel of judges will rank all applications and select the top 100 students. Gleaner’s top 50-ranked benefit members will receive a one-time award of $3,000. Of the remaining 50 benefit members and family members, each will receive a one-time scholarship totaling $1,500. See the full list of eligibility and application requirements below.
The scholarship application process will open on Nov. 1.
To apply for a Gleaner scholarship, students must:
- Be a Gleaner member or a member of a Gleaner family (parent, child, grandchild, sibling);
- Be a high school senior or high school graduate;
- Plan to or currently attend an accredited vocational/technical school, college, university or graduate school within the United States; and
- Enroll as a full-time student taking 10 or more semester credit hours.
The Foundation’s scholarships are a one-time per person award. If an individual has received an award in the past they cannot reapply. Applicants who do not receive a scholarship may reapply as long as they continue to meet the eligibility requirements. Awards are not limited to one per household.
Applications are judged by an independent panel of judges and scholarships will be awarded based on score.
The judges review the following:
- Academic record
- Quality of activities and community involvement
- Letters of recommendation
- Explanation of financial need
For more details, view the scholarship flyer.
what is a benefit member, and how can an applicant become one?
A benefit member is either:
- An individual who is insured under a Gleaner life insurance certificate, or
- An individual who owns a Gleaner annuity.
Benefit members are eligible to apply for a competitive one-time $3,000 scholarship. If you are a scholarship applicant who is not a benefit member, you can become a Gleaner member by purchasing a life insurance or annuity product. The easiest way to enjoy the benefits of belonging to Gleaner Life Insurance Society is to purchase either a Just For Kids® life insurance plan or Gleaner's Lifetime Membership.